Friday, September 19, 2014

Gloomy days are great for making cheezy crackers!

Today was just a gloomy day.  The sky was gray and overcast all day and it was very cool.  I mentioned to my husband that it almost looked like snow.  (It was only 63 degrees and it's the middle of September so I know snow is at least a little ways off.)

It was definitely a day to stay huddled up inside in the warm and either read a book or watch a movie, but, unfortunately, my students and my toddlers require much more of me so I got up and out to school this morning against my wishes.

Today also marks 2 months since I lost my baby "girl".  Since she was only about 8 weeks gestation, I don't know definitively that "she" was a girl, but as hard as I have tried, I can't refer to her as a he so "she" it will be.  "She" or more specifically my Arabella Grace.  I chose this name soon after I found out I was expecting because one meaning of the name Arabella is "yielding to prayer" and I knew I was definitely going to need prayer with two kids two and under in my house.  It also means "beautiful."  I know miscarriage is a taboo subject, but I'm not really sure why.  It's not contagious.  It's sadly way too common.  I can't tell you how many people that have told me that they also experienced a loss when I told them about mine.  I believe the statistic is something like 1 in 5 known pregnancies end in miscarriage.  So, why all the silence?  Why am I expected to forget my child just because I didn't hold her in my arms?

It's almost funny to me that when I hear from people I don't talk to often and they ask how I'm doing, I'm not sure if they are asking, "Hey, how are you?" like you would to anyone else or "Hey, how are you dealing with your loss?"  I hope some day, someone might tell me that they were thinking of me and my baby girl. I think about her often and can't wait to meet her in heaven!  But, I digress.  This post was supposed to be about making crackers and how my little monster (a.k.a. S.J.) got into the tiny bit of flour that I left on the table.

So, yesterday I attempted crackers for the first time.  I found the recipe on Oh She Glows.  It's a cheesy vegan cracker (I'm not sure if all crackers are vegan, but this one is.)  I made a batch yesterday using regular all purpose flour and added some Italian seasoning.  They turned out awesome but, of course, I took no pictures of the process.  My husband, my son, and I finished them within 24 hours.  I don't think I have a future in food blogging.  :)
So, I made another batch today.  Once again, I didn't take pictures of the ingredients or the mixture, but I did take a few of cutting them out.
And getting ready to bake.
This time I used whole wheat flour to make them a little healthier and rolled them thinner.

They were still great and my 18 month old decided he needed some more after I gave him a few.
The flour that is covering him is a result of me forgetting that I left a the small container of flour I was using to dust the table and him climbing up and finding it.  I swear, I started off with a fourth of a cup and used more than half of it.  Unfortunately, the table, the towel, the oven mitt and the toddler don't look like it.
All in all a great end to a gloomy day!



 I have tried this with both whole wheat and regular all purpose flour and it turned out great!  I added Italian seasoning both times and the result was a chicken in a biskit like taste.

I'd love to hear if you tried it and how it turned out for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment